Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life - Pablo Picasso

Hi everyone!

My name is Birgit Koopsen, I'm from the Netherlands and I'm a WOW! educator/US WOW! Design Team member.
I am  happy to be guest blogging here today and I would like to show you that WOW! embossing powders are perfect to use in mixed-media projects.
The project I'm sharing with you was created using WOW! embossing powders & stamps, Fab Foil and bonding powder.


The base for this project was a plain piece of wood from the DIY-store, measuring 18.5 x 29.5 x 1.8cm.
I first randomly stamped on the wood using stamp set 11 - French Music.
Then I spray painted the wood with a variety of Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist colors.
It's important the whole piece is completely dry before you move on.
I made my own masks punching out circles in 3 sizes from pieces of cardstock and used the negatives.
I created circles on the background filling the masks with Versamark using a piece of blending foam, then sprinkled the circles with bonding powder and heated them. I placed the white foil on top, heated the circle spots lightly again and rubbed the foil in. The firmer you rub and the better you let the bonding powder cool down the better the foil sticks. But I like a distressed look so in some places I took the foil of before it cooled down which made the background shine through.


After that I added dots on and around the white circles using punchanella/sequin waste and Versamark and added pink foil to them the same way as i did with the white circles. Although the white foil didn't stick everywhere the bonding powder is still there so when I added the pink foil some of it stuck to the open spaces in the white circles making it look even more distressed. Love that!


To get the copper brushstrokes of foil I added Versamark to the background with a wide brush, then added bonding powder and copper foil.
To make the little butterflies I used the same technique as with the circles. I punched out the butterfly from a piece of cardstock and used the negative. This time I let the foil cool down completely before removing it getting a perfect butterfly print. I put the mask back on top of the butterflies and stamped on top using the Funky Border Strips - ME Clear Stamp Set.


I used stamp set 1 - Is it a bird? for the trees. Stamped them with Versamark and then embossed them with Primary Ebony regular. Because the stems were to short I used an embossing pen to make them the right height. I also used the Ebony powder to cover the sides of the wood. and for the little hearts at the top.
To get a little more texture I added several colors of Stazon ink using star shape and dotted punchanella.
Finally I stamped the 2 little birds (also from Is it a bird?), drew with a black pen around the white circles and added the quote.


I really hope you like my post and got inspired to use your WOW! products in mixed media projects!

Wishing you a wonderful day!
Happy crafting!

Birgit
Please visit me on www.birgitkoopsen.nl

Comments

  1. So many layers to look at! Would be lovely technique to use in an art journal as well, if like me the walls are already filled with art pieces ;)

    Glad to have you visit the UK blog Birgit :)

    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fab of you to pop over the water to us. Love the project and its colours. Brightens my day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderfull!!! That´s so pritty! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love these colours! A wonderful piece of art :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous colors and a fab quote too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment